This Fortune 500 Global Health Care Services company operates within the highly-regulated pharmaceuticals industry and has over 60,000 employees with annual revenue measured in tens of billions. The company relies on its significant IT infrastructure to manage its business and to deliver its services to thousands of hospitals, medical professionals and patients in over 20 countries.
When it came to considering how best to manage its huge monthly load of business requested changes, enhancements, and projects across its many SAP applications and systems, the team turned to automation.
The goals of the automation project were specifically:
- To simplify the SAP change control process and reduce the costs of managing change
- To assist in managing significant projects and the implementation of a release management strategy
- To improve production system stability
Rev-Trac was selected ahead of several readily available solutions, including SAP Solution Manager ChaRM to replace their existing manual non-automated process. By later integrating their BMC Remedy ITSM process and their Rev-Trac automated SAP change control process, fully automated end-to-end SAP change management was achieved.
Several years on from the selection and implementation of Rev-Trac, the initial goals of the project have been achieved:
- Manual effort has been reduced by more than 70%
- The introduced N+1 dual development stream has been simplified with over 50% of the manual retrofit effort eliminated
- Production stability (based on error reductions) has increased by up to 49%
- Overall change control and change management efficiency has improved by up to 90%
In addition, the company has benefited from a significant increase (up to 49%) in the volumes of change managed by the team and up to 90% reduction in time spent on audit tasks.