Fotolog began to evaluate other database solutions after it started to experience slow response times. Growing pains attributable to Fotolog’s rapidly growing user base began causing latency spikes and slow response times. Google Datastore was too slow to handle the interactivity and analytics needed for Fotolog’s social app. In addition, it made it very difficult to administer functions such as messaging and leaderboards, which had to be handled at the application level; this consumed additional time and resources that made it difficult to scale as a result.
The business challenges that led the profiled company to evaluate and ultimately select Redis Enterprise:
- Encountered the following challenges before choosing Redis Enterprise:
- High latency and slow response times from other databases
- Difficulty operating, scaling, and administering other databases
Fotolog chose Redis Enterprise for its intelligent session state management and currently uses Redis to store all of a user’s session-related data, like their profile information, messages, daily photos and searches. The other databases Fotolog evaluated required a huge amount of time and resources to match the network’s latency requirements, but that wasn’t an issue with Redis Enterprise.
“It was so easy to set up and use,” says the IT team at Fotolog. “Redis Enterprise provides configurable options for our app and has clear pricing.”
Redis Enterprise also ensures seamlessness because it serves as the primary database for Fotolog’s social channels.
The key features and functionalities of Redis Enterprise that the surveyed company uses:
- Uses Redis Enterprise for the following:
- Use of Redis Enterprise does include data that is not stored in any other database.
- Increased their usage of Redis Enterprise for the following reasons:
- Application usage and user count is growing
- They want more pieces of our application to be served faster
- Using Redis Enterprise in the following types of solutions:
- Social channels/customer engagement
Fotolog has reaped the benefits of a high-performance database without compromising on speed. Redis Enterprise’s built-in data structures and modules simplified the implementation of user-interaction functions, fast-tracking Fotolog’s time to market. Fotolog also significant benefits from the simplicity of Redis Enterprise. Since it’s easy to deploy and manage Redis Enterprise, the network’s IT team has been able to manage its Redis instance with fewer dedicated personnel.
The surveyed company achieved the following results with Redis Enterprise:
- Values the following Redis Enterprise capabilities:
- High availability (persistence, auto-failover, cross-zone/multi-region/multi-datacenter in-memory replication)
- Stability & high performance
- Ability to seamlessly scale, cluster, and auto shard
- Monitoring & automation and alerting & dashboards
- Rates the following benefits of Redis Enterprise for having Redis as their deployment provider compared to their previous state:
- faster time to market: most beneficial
- reduced downtime: beneficial
- ability to offer fewer specialized personnel: highly beneficial
- higher, more stable performance: beneficial
- Would like to move additional data from the following databases into Redis Enterprise: