Case Study: Snag A Job, Inc.
- Addressed the following pain points with the HP Vertica Analytics Platform:
- Slow or incomplete queries
- The inability to analyze large volumes of data
- The lack of concurrency limits access to data
- Performance limits with current system
- The lack of business insight from data
- The lack of connection between current BI/analytics initiatives and needs of business
- Existing data warehouse/data management infrastructure that could not handle Big Data
- Is implementing the following applications with HP Vertica:
- Clickstream analysis
- Predictive analytics
- Currently managing 500 GB – 1 TB of data with HP Vertica software.
- Uses the following Business Intelligence (BI), visualization, and ETL tools in their environment:
- Purchased HP Vertica over the following vendors:
- Amazon Redshift
- Values the following features in HP Vertica software the most:
- Extreme speed and performance
- Massive scalability on industry-standard hardware
- Standard SQL interface
- Simultaneous loading and querying
- Concurrency for hundreds or thousands of users
- Aggressive compression
- Database designer and administration tools
- High availability without hardware redundancy
- Optimizer and execution engine
- High availability for analytics systems
- Increased query performance by 500 – 1,000% through improvement in response time with HP Vertica.
- Can compress their data by > 50% with HP Vertica.
“We were looking for a database backend to allow end users (a couple of thousand external users) to crunch through their detailed data in real time. The dataset is several hundred million rows and our avg. response time goal was less than 5 secs. Last but not least we are building this environment for the future, i.e. another requirement was to be able to scale horizontally). Redshift came close in response time but completed failed in concurrency, i.e. multiple users running an analysis at the same time. Infobright came close in response time and concurrency but didn’t provide sufficient scalability. Vertica checked all boxes at a very competitive price-point.”
Robert Fehrmann, IT Architect, SnagAJob.com, Inc.